Friday, October 1, 2010

Buillied into it

I've gone and done it: I listed my first items on my etsy site. It's actually kinda intimidating. I mean, what if no one likes it? *sigh* I think I would cry.

But The Boy tells me people have to love it since he loves it so much (I think he's biased myself). But I've been making these sorts of things on and off for the last year, experimenting with various techniques and scenes. I've been giving them away as gifts and those people seem to like it. That is encouraging. So after much debate, I gave in and opened a store...and then left it empty for awhile.

It took a few more weeks for me to get up the courage to actually post anything for sale. But then we went to a wedding a couple of weekends ago. The Boy asked me to make a shadow box papercut illustration for the couple as sort of a "card" based on the magnet they sent out as a Save the Date. I obliged but was nervous as I did not know them very well.

The card was made and presented at a very gorgeous (although hot) wedding. And then nothing until they came to visit The Boy at his work and proceeded to gush about the "card." It made me blush a little to think that this couple, who were virtually strangers to me, actually liked the illustration so much! And there you go: the boost to kick me in the pants and start listing things to sell. Maybe someone else would want to have one made for themselves? Anyone?

Custom Papercut Illustration (3D)
(My kick in the pants)

2 comments:

Misti said...

I love it! You are awesome! Just market yourself to friends and family and blogs so you can get stuff sold!

Anonymous said...

I just checked into the blog and realized I don't have you on my reader list. That is an awesome awesome illustration and great idea to make it into a "card". Sounds like you've found something lucrative to do on the site. I echo Misti's comments - market it! Facebook is available as a wonderful tool