Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I love fall...

...and the lovely fashion it inspires. I know, I know I live in an area of the world where most people think that we just have sunshine and great weather all year long. Nothing ever changes. But I disagree. Anyone who lives here long enough, experiences all the seasons, will note the changes in the air and light that mark the passing of the year.
And when fall comes around, well it's no wonder it's my favorite time of year. Only those who know to look for it can find the changes that mark the passing of summer into fall: the smell of the warm sea breeze has a sharp edge that promises of cooler times to come, the hot air swirls around you like a sweater that's grown too tight but the night comes faster and the stars twinkle brightly saying, "Yes, we're here! We didn't leave you. We only went on holiday while it was hot and sunny and now we're slowly seeping back into the world," the sweet crisp night offers a prelude to the coming showers and rainy days, all around the air rings with laughing boys and girls let out after the last bell rings. The best thing about this time of year and indelibly marks fall in southern California: the sunsets. The broad brush strokes of pink, orange, yellow and red are like no other at any other time of the year. I could spend every night watching the sun set with the Boy.

(photo by moi)

But my favorite part of fall? The fashion. Each year I look forward to the sweaters, coats, scarves, and boots that come along with the turn in the weather (albeit, here, you do have to wait a little longer than the rest of the country for more traditional fall weather). I've missed you fall. I can't wait till the passing Santa Ana winds leave us alone together to resume our love affair. In anticipation and celebration of the lustful reunion, I give you my latest guilty desires courtesy of Anthropologie.

This gorgeous red sweater with cute brown boots that have embellished wildflower appliques on the side are adorable together. I can see wearing them with a pair of black skinny jeans and a cool knit beret. So cute and a little rough at the edges French!

I love this dress. I can see myself wearing to a party (like my birthday?); it's a gorgeous deep plum color and gives great definition in the waist but also short enough to show off my legs (and when you're vertically challenged, height is of the utmost importance in one's clothing choices! Who wants to appear shorter in an outfit?). Pair it with this great freesia headband and it totally makes it a cute party outfit!
I love hats; I do. I didn't use to as they itched and made me feel dorky and kid-like. But in the last few years I've grown accustomed to them, dorkiness be damned. Because, I'll let you in one a little secret, there are some fabulous ones out there! They do in a pinch when your head is cold and sometimes I pull them down low to look mysterious. I love the idea of embellished ones like this atop this lovely navy cardigan with silk chiffon leaves; who could mistake it for any other season than fall?
What's red, black and white? This fun and flirty combination of the white rose scarf and the black crochet lace coat! I dig the play of textures: the soft and fluid red scarf pops on the dark intricate structured lace coat.
And who wouldn't adore this swingy slip dress in pale blue with a gilded overlay? Pair it with gold flats that match the gold at the bust and you've got a sweet date outfit for a special night out with the fellow.

I love the sexy librarian look. In fact, sometimes I wish I were a librarian because I'd wear this lovely dress with some sexy red heels. Imagine what kind of reader response I'd get climbing the ladders to put books back on the shelves.
Last, but not least, an ode to the fading summer glory in this stunning sheath dress--so cute and lady-like. To make it more fall appropriate I'd throw on this fun and retro-vibe coat, some heels and head out the door. Business and lady-like appeal from the outside; fun and youthful frock under. It's the same kind of thrill you get when you know you're wearing fun knickers under your every day clothes.

No comments: